Ainsley Gommon Architects

We are delighted to report three planning applications relating to the redevelopment of Conwy Council’s former offices in Colwyn Bay have been granted resolution for approval at September’s Planning Committee. Working in partnership with Muse Developments and Conwy Council, three applications were submitted together as part of a holistic approach to the site, which were left vacant following Conwy Council’s move to Coed Pella, a purpose built facility in Colwyn Bay in November 2018. The three submissions relate to the conversion of Hen Glan-Y-Don, a Victorian two storey former residence which had been used as office accommodation, sitting in a mature landscape setting.

A Change of Use Application detailed the proposals to convert the office building into nine one and two bedroom apartments, whilst a Listed Building Application was also required due to Hen Glan-Y-Don’s proximity to the Grade II Listed Neuadd Glan-Y-Don, the former Civic Centre.

The third application sought Outline Planning Approval with Reserved Matters for the hectare of land surrounding Hen Glan-Y-Don to provide a broad mix of housing and takes into account the setting of the nearby Listed Neuadd Glan-Y-Don, cherished mature trees and the heritage asset of Hen-Y-Glan. The proposals provide 20% affordable housing with the remaining 80% to be sold on the Open Market.

To read more about the proposals visit our project page.

Site Masterplan

Posted By
Sarah Davies
Tagged With
News Architecture