Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council, Museum Service
Following the successful completion of stone repairs to St. Mary’s tower and the improvements to the Priory visitor’s facilities Ainsley Gommon has continued working together with Wirral Museums Service to secure funding to carry out further essential repairs to the medieval structures across the Priory site. This second phase of works required Scheduled Monument Consent. The work was primarily to the north and west ranges of the Priory buildings and to the associated fragment of the former east range, all of which are Grade 1 Listed and fall within the boundaries of a Scheduled Monument. Within the site there is also a Grade 2* Listed Chapter House.
The repairs have been necessary to stabilise the stonework on the buildings and to prevent further damage to the stonework and fabric of the ruined buildings, which were built in several phases between the years 1150 and approximately 1400. The Priory buildings are some of the oldest standing structures in Merseyside. Previously installed sand and cement cappings have been removed from wall heads and replaced with lime mortar which mitigate the effects of water penetration and frost damage. Damaging ferrous fixings, railing and window bars have been removed to prevent further damage to the fabric of the historic structures. New works have involved the reinstatement of gates and railings to improve general security together and overall these works aim to address a backlog of repairs and deterioration which has built up over the years.
Following the success of this phase a further phase for a museum lighting scheme was undertaken.