Llay Miners Welfare Institute
5 Phases = £444,000
Built in 1929, the Grade II Listed Miners Welfare Institute in Llay is the last remaining Miners Institute still in use in Wales. Described as Edwardian Baroque in style, the Institute is a key public building within the locality and provides social facilities for the local community. Over the years some of the original character of the building had been lost due to alterations made prior to the listing of the building, and the external condition of the building was beginning to deteriorate.
A rolling programme of restoration began in 2003 to improve the external fabric and secure the future of the building. Split into five phases over a nine year period, the work included structural stabilisation, wet and dry rot eradication, replacement of damaged stone and plaster, and restoration and repairs to the windows, gutters, paintwork and parapets
Internal upgrading work was also included, with accessibility improvements helping to ensure the Institute meets current disabled access standards. Remodelling and redecoration of the main function rooms was also undertaken as part of the works.
Funding for the restoration work was provided through grants from various sources for each of the five phases, including the Heritage Lottery Fund, Welsh Assembly Government, Land Fill Tax Fund and WREN (Waste Recycling Environmental Ltd). Full consultation with the Council’s Conservation Officer and the Institute’s Trustees was undertaken throughout the restoration period.
Following the completion of the restoration work a long term maintenance plan has been put in place which will retain this building for the future and allow the Institute to remain as an important heritage building within the village of Llay.